The Korea Advanced Institute of Science and Technology (KAIST) KAIST was established in 1971 to model a research focused university and to foster elite human resources in science and technology needed by Korea.
The KAIST Scholarship is offering scholarship opportunities to South African students to study towards a postgraduate qualification at KAIST. The Department of Higher Education and Training (DHET) is responsible for nominations from South Africa.
Application deadline is 13 April 2018. No applications after the deadline will be considered.
Who can apply?
- • South African citizens in good health with a strong academic record;
- • Must have university entrance into a similar postgraduate programme at a public South African University;
- • Master's applicants must have a four year qualification equivalent to a NQF level 8 and achieved an overall minimum average of 65%;
- • PhD applicants must have a Master's degree and must have achieved an overall minimum average of 65%;
- • Available to study in Korea from September 2018;
- • Must have applied for the study programme at KAIST on a full-time basis;
- • Intend to return to South Africa at the end of your studies.
Fields of Study
- Science, Engineering and Technology.
- • Full tuition fee: tuition exemption for 4 semesters (M.S. degree) / 8 semesters (Ph.D. degree)
- • Living expenses: 300,000 KRW per month
- • Medical insurance
Application processThe application process is two-fold:
1. Complete the DHET Application Form and email it together with the
following documents to KoreaScholarship@dhet.gov.za by 13 April 2018:
- • Completed application form
- • Transcript of highest qualification
- • Copy of ID
- • Proof of online KAIST application
ContactThe DHET is responsible for nominations for the scholarship only, for queries about your application to be nominated for the scholarship, send an email to KoreaScholarship@dhet.gov.za
For queries about the scholarship itself or the programme of study, contact the KAIST Admissions Office:
Dean of Admissions Office: Prof Hayong Shin
Undergraduate Programme: Ms Gahyun Son
Documents and links•DHET Application Form • KAIST website • KAIST application link: http://admission.kaist.ac.kr/international/?page_id=1152 • KAIST Admissions Briefing and Embassy Recommendation Program information document
Please note that this opportunity is not offered by the Department of Higher Education and Training. Applicants are required to undertake their own research into programmes and institutions and are responsible for ensuring that the qualifications will be recognised in South Africa. If there are any discrepancies in the details provided, the information given by the sponsor supersedes the details provided above. No additional financial support will be provided by the Department of Higher Education and Training.