JAPAN: ABE Initiative 2018
This programme offers opportunities for young and eligible African men and women to study Master's courses in Japan and to undertake internships at Japanese enterprises in order to develop effective skills and knowledge in various fields, to contribute to the development of industries in Africa. This program aims at human resource development in both private and public sectors in order to cultivate a strong human network between Japan and Africa.
At the 5th Tokyo International Conference on African Development (TICAD V) held in Yokohama in 2013, the Japanese Government stated its policy of strengthening support for the on-going dynamic growth of Africa with stronger public-private partnerships. Japanese Prime Minister Shinzo ABE announced the "African Business Education Initiative for Youth".
Master's degree and internship programme in Japan
23 October 2017
Who can apply?
The Program aims at fostering excellent personnel who can contribute to Africa's development in collaboration with Japanese private sector, we are looking for prominent young South African nationals from who are or will be involved in industrial development related activities in both public and private sectors and have strong motivation to strengthen economic ties between South Africa and Japan. BASIC REQUIREMENTS:
- • South African Nationals
- • Age between 22 and 39 as of April 1st 2018
- • Bachelor degree (B-Tech included) or above (Diploma is not accepted)
- • Good understanding of the Program objectives
- • Adequate English skills both in written and oral communication
Fields of Study
Application in Proposed research topics must be relevant to the program objectives to form network of potential contributors to the development of African industries, who have strong ties with Japan.
Proposed research topics must be relevant to the program objectives to form network of potential contributors to the development of African industries, who have strong ties with Japan.
Duration of program
The 2018 ABE Initiative programme starts at the end of August 2018 and includes a 1-2.5 year Master's course and an internship of 2 weeks – 6 months. Participants are required to return to South Africa upon completion of the program.
What the scholarship offers
Upon signing of the contract with JICA, participants in this Program will be entitled to receive during his/her study in Japan:
- • Full tuition fee for Master's Program
- • Monthly Allowance during Master's Program and Internship
- • Air fare for single return from Johannesburg to Tokyo, Japan
- • Orientation: Basic Japanese language course and introductory course for Japanese life
- • Health Insurance: Japanese national health insurance and JICA's medical coverage will be applied (with the exception of pre-existing condition)
- • Moving/Preparation Allowance
- • Research support fees (with the approval from JICA/accepted university)
Original application should be submitted to ABE Initiative Program Office:
- Lord Charles Office Block
- Building A, 1st Floor
- 337 Brooklyn Street
Visit website: http://education-japan.org/africa/index.html for more information and to download application form.
Documents and links
Applicants are required to undertake their own research into programmes and institutions. If there are any discrepancies in the details provided, the information given by the sponsor supersedes the details provided above.