Scholarships form an integral part of Australia's development assistance for Africa, and help to build critical skills and knowledge. The Australia Awards – Africa offer an effective and efficient model to deliver Australia's assistance while supporting a range of strategic foreign policy, economic diplomacy and development objectives across key sectors.
Application deadline is 15 December 2017
Who can apply?• National of South Africa
• At least 25 and not more than 50 years of age at the date of your application
• At least three (3) years' post-graduation work experience. This work experience must be in a role relevant to proposed field of study and to employmentorganisation type (e.g. public sector applicants should demonstrate public sector work experience). Preference will be given to candidates with greater periods of experience
• Possess, as a minimum, a Bachelors degree (or the equivalent) from a recognised Institution of at least 3 years in length or a BTech (with at least a C level pass)
• Must not have a criminal conviction or be facing legal action with respect to allegations of serious criminal activity
• Must not have citizenship or permanent residence status in Australia or New Zealand
• Must be willing to make a formal commitment to return to South Africa upon completion of the award. Where possible, candidates should be willing to commit to return to place of employment following completion of the award.
• Must meet the general minimum eligibility criteria for Australia Awards Scholarships – refer to the Australia Awards Scholarships Policy Handbook.
Applications from women and persons with disability are encouraged by the Australian Government. Mechanisms are in place to support the participation of applicants and Awardees requiring specific assistance.
Fields of Study
Priority sectors• Agricultural Productivity
• Public Policy (including education, public health, trade, public financial administration, infrastructure, road safety and social policy)
Applications from exceptional candidates will also be considered in the following sectors:• Climate Change
• Environmental Management
• Water Management
• Gender Studies
• Social Development
Application processTo request an application go to the application request link.
ContactFor queries please visit Frequently Asked Questions, forward further enquiries to firstname.lastname@example.org.
Please note that this scholarship is offered by the Australian Government. Applicants are required to undertake their own research into programmes and institutions and are responsible for ensuring that the qualifications will be recognised in South Africa. No additional financial support will be provided by the Department of Higher Education and Training.